Thursday, April 26, 2007

Casting calls

"What's it like to have a cast?"

"Are they heavy?"

"Do they itch?'

"Does it hurt to have a broken bone?"

Nothing like real time experience to answer questions. We just happened to have some casting materials---so I went to work giving each one of the kids an experience with an "almost" real cast. The only reason it was "almost"...is I made them lighter, with less layers so I would be able to remove them without a cast saw.

We used old socks for the liners and went to work. Within the first half hour I was getting complaints.

"It itches"

"It is heavy"

"It is cold"

"It itches...get it off!!!!!!!

They both wanted them removed within an hour. We were not unable to answer the pain question, but they both agreed that having a cast is not as "cool" as it looks.

I would not recommend this experiment unless you have had some experience with casting or at least use just a few layers because they can be a bit tricky to get off. I could only imagine the looks you would get at the local Er's....asking for a cast removal.


              

No comments: